/ / Palazzo dei Console: photos, description (Palazzo dei Consoli)

Palazzo dei Console: photos, description (Palazzo dei Consoli)

The impressive architectural ensemble, consisting of the Palazzo dei Console, Palazzo Pretorio and the connecting square, it was built in Gubbio during the 14th century. As a result of discussions that took place in 1321-1322 years, it was decided that buildings should be erected at the site, which would connect all the city's neighborhoods.

To implement this idea had to radically change the landscape of the area - first and foremost, was built a huge underground vaults, on which lies the square, which is considered today the biggest "hanging" area in the world. The whole architectural complex, mostly built in the 1332-1338 years, made in the same style that reflected the changes that occurred in social life during the Renaissance. On the project both worked the palaces of Matteo di Giovannello: Palazzo dei Console was conceived as the residence of the Magistrate independent of Gubbio, and Palazzo Pretorio - as residence of the Podesta, head of the city. And the amazing front door of the Palazzo dei Console attributed to Angelo da Orvieto (his name can be seen above the portal). The Palace itself is now considered one of the most beautiful public buildings in Italy.

Four large buttresses divide the facade of the Palazzo overlooking the square, in three parts. Located in the center of the fan-shaped stairs leading to the entrance, on either side of which you can see the arched Windows. The first floor is decorated with arched Windows with scalloped eaves, and on top of the little Palace adorn the arches and battlements of Guelph. To the left of the Palazzo rises a graceful scalloped bell tower "Il Campanone" whose bells weighing about 2 tons, date back to 1769. The other side of the Palace follows the form of the facade, with the exception of the one facing the valley, - it was attached to a narrow wing with a balcony.

Today Palazzo dei Console is owned by the municipality. In its majestic vaulted main hall and the rooms on the upper floors houses the City Museum, whose collection is acquainted with the history and culture of Gubbio, from the 6th century BC and until the 19th century. Perhaps the main exhibit of the Museum are the famous Huminska table is the most significant monument of the Umbrian language, were discovered in the 15th century. They consist of seven bronze plates engraved with the Umbrian language, a detailed description of religious rites. In General, the archaeological collection of the Museum of Gubbio is one of the richest in Umbria. In addition here you can see the numismatic collection with coins from Ancient Rome and medieval coins, a collection of ceramics a collection of works of 14-19 centuries, and works of art, the Umbrian school of painting.