/ / Palazzo dei Normanni: photo description (Palazzo dei Normanni)

Palazzo dei Normanni: photo description (Palazzo dei Normanni)

Palazzo dei Normanni, also known as Palazzo Reale - the Royal Palace is the ancient residence of the kings of Sicily, lying in the historic centre of Palermo. The Palace is notable in itself as a monument of Arab-Norman architecture, in addition, inside it is located the Palatine chapel is an exquisite and lavishly decorated personal chapel of the kings.

A long time ago on the site of the present Palazzo was already built, belonged to the Phoenicians. Later they changed the Roman fortifications. When the Arabs conquered Sicily in the 9th century, they built on the site of ancient ruins of the fortress called the Palace of the emirs, hence monitored by the inhabitants of Palermo. At the end of the 11th century the power over the island passed to the Normans, and at the direction of Duke Robert Guiscard in the Palace of the emirs was a government house. All the buildings were connected to each other by means of arches and was surrounded by gardens, broken the best gardeners of the middle ages. And the nephew of the Guiscard, Roger II and completely transformed the former fortress into a luxurious Palace. It is when it is in 1132 was equipped with the famous Cappella Palatina and built four towers of Pisa, Red, Greek and Goare. Roger son of king William I of Evil was built another tower - Kirimli. Unfortunately, up to our days there were only leaning, dedicated to Saint Ninfa. In the late 18th century it housed an astronomical Observatory.

For over a century, the Palazzo dei Normanni, flourished and even became the Imperial residence of Hohenstaufen. However, after the Palermo loss of its capital status and until the 16th century the Palace was again turned into a regular fortress. In those years, was lost a great part of the furniture of the Palace interior.

In the 16-17 centuries, when the Palazzo became the residence of the Spanish viceroys of Sicily, it has undergone several reconstructions, during which has been greatly expanded. Created a new front façade, facing Piazza Victoria designed the Fountain courtyard and the courtyard of Makeda, was named in honor of one of the viceroys. In 1735, the Maqueda courtyard with a majestic staircase connected to the Royal chambers on the third floor. Today Palazzo dei Normanni is the seat of the Parliament of the Autonomous region of Sicily. And the Palatine chapel - without a doubt, the best example of arao-Norman-Byzantine style - was turned into a Museum, where visitors can admire the wonderful Golden mosaics, painted wooden ceilings and marble inlays.