/ / Palazzo dei Notai: photos, description (Palazzo dei Notai)

Palazzo dei Notai: photos, description (Palazzo dei Notai)

Palazzo dei Notai, which can be translated as the Palace of the Notaries, - a majestic building built between the 14th and 15th centuries on the South side of Piazza Maggiore in Bologna. The architects of the Palace with a serrated facade, Windows with double arches and a small white marble columns was Berto, Cavalletto, Lorenzo da Beniamino and Andrea di Vicenzo. On the façade can still be seen the coat of arms of the society of Notaries on a red background there are three inkwells and feathers.

The construction of the Palace was in two stages: the part which faces the Basilica of San Petronio, the older, and the part facing the Palazzo Communale, later. Sam Palazzo dei Notai stands on the site of two buildings that once belonged to the family of the famous Italian lawyer'accursio and acquired in 1287 the Society of Notaries. In 1384 the building of San Petronio was demolished, and immediately began the erection of a new Palace, completed forty years later. It is assumed that a newer section of the Palace was built under the supervision of Bartolomeo Fioravanti. In the next five centuries it housed the Council of Notaries and store important legal documents. However, in 1700 there was also a warehouse of salt, so necessary for the preservation of meat. In 1908, after extensive restoration work changed the original appearance of the building, on the facade of the Palazzo placed the coat of arms of the Society. Fortunately, inside are preserved frescoes of the 14th century. Today, this building is government offices and residential premises.