/ / Palazzo dei Priori: photos, description (Palazzo dei Priori)

Palazzo dei Priori: photos, description (Palazzo dei Priori)

Palazzo dei Priori is a historical building in the heart of Perugia. As in other medieval Italian cities it was the residence of the priori - the first persons of Perugia. This Council was established in 1303, and is located in the building which was then called the Palazzo Nuovo del Popolo, is the New Palace of the people. The Priory consisted of 10 representatives of the major guilds of the city, of which there were 44. They are elected for a period of two months. The only one who was part of the Priory constantly, was the money changers and merchants who were represented by two persons.

During the ongoing popular uprisings in Perugia Institute was created, the "podestà" - the head of the city-state, whose residence was situated in the Palazzo del Podesta. But in 1534, the Palace was burned - he had kept only the so-called Loggia, which can be seen today near the Cathedral of San Lorenzo. After this event, namely the Palazzo dei Priori became the main residence of the papal legate, the new Governor of Perugia. And when Pope Julius III restored the Priory, the grateful residents of the city perpetuated the memory of Pope, erected a bronze monument near the Cathedral.

Today Palazzo dei Priori dominates the square, which intersects the main streets of medieval Perugia, Corso Vannucci. The first part of the building was built in 1293-1297 years and had 10 flights, overlooking Corso Vannucci, and three flights of stairs, facing the main square. Two more flights of stairs, and a large portal and a covered balcony was added in 1333-1337. Later, the Palazzo was expanded by adding six bays along Corso Vannucci and richly carved front door, worthy of the Cathedral. Here stands a tower, which controlled the approaches to the ancient street of via dei Priori, leading to the Etruscan gate. Another part of the building was added in the first half of the 15th century, today it retains its Gothic style, especially noticeable in the arrangement of Windows on the facade. It housed the Collegio del Cambio - currency exchange, the former financial center of Perugia.

The roof around the perimeter of the Palazzo dei Priori was initially serrated, not so much for defensive purposes, but as a symbol of independence of the city. In 1610 teeth removed, and when Perugia became part of United Italy, they triumphantly returned to the place.

The main portal facing the square, surmounted by the symbols of the city - the bronze Griffin of Perugia and the lion of the Guelphs. Above the door hang the keys to the gates of Siena, which was solemnly placed there after the victory of Perugia at the battle of Torrita in 1358. The portal simply leads to a crypt with vaults, and from there a staircase to get into the frescoed Hall, which was once the seat of a Priory. In 1582 this room was given to the Guild of notaries and was called the Hall dei Notari. On the left is the entrance to the National Gallery of Umbria - the repository of one of the most outstanding art collections in Italy.