/ / Palazzo dei Sette and the Torre del Moro: photo description (Palazzo dei Sette e Torre del Moro)

Palazzo dei Sette and the Torre del Moro: photo description (Palazzo dei Sette e Torre del Moro)

Palazzo dei Sette and the Torre del Moro, once belonged to the noble family of the Della Terza of Orvieto, today converted into a cultural and historical complex. For many years the Palace was owned by the Church, and then was used as the residence of the members of the city Board - hence its name. It is also believed that some time in this Palace lived the architect Antonio da Sangallo. In 1515 Pope Leo X gave the building then known as Torre del Papa and Casa di Santa Chiesa in the use of the ruler of Orvieto. Since then it has housed a variety of public companies.

The first door to the right of the entrance leads to the Torre del Moro, up to which you can walk or lift. Tickets are sold at the entrance. One of the two bells, which can be seen today in the tower, which is very rare - it is dated 1313 year. Its rim is engraved symbols 25 city of crafts and character of the people of Orvieto.

In 1865 the tower was placed on a new reservoir to deliver water from the new aqueduct into the city. Ten years later he was in turn topped by a clock. And at the end of the 19th century on the ground floor of Torre del Moro is located the office of the city mail, which just recently moved into a new building. Today I love coming here, the tourists who admire the beautiful view of Orvieto and its environs, opening from height of 47 meters.

The origin of the name of the tower - literally "Tower of the moor" - a lot of legends. One of the most popular for many years was a legend about a jealous Maura, who allegedly lived here. Some historians believe that the name comes from the doll moor's (or Saracen), which was fastened to the tower during the medieval knightly tournaments. But widely recognised version is that the name of the tower comes from the name of Raphael, Gualterio, known as "Il Moro", who lived here in the 16th century. Standing next to Torre del Moro Palace, once owned by the family of Gualterio, was known by the same name, Palazzo del Moro.