/ / Palazzo della Pilotta: photos, description (Palazzo della Pilotta)

Palazzo della Pilotta: photos, description (Palazzo della Pilotta)

The Palazzo della Pilotta is a complex of buildings in the historic centre of Parma, located between Piazzale della Pace and promenade Lungomare. The name comes from the Basque ball game "pelota", which played in Parma stationed Spanish soldiers.

The Palazzo was built around 1538, the year, the last year of the reign of Duke Ottavio Farnese. The building was erected around the road, which connected the tower of the Rocchetta (traces of it are visible today close to the banks of Parma and Ducale Palace. The facade of the Palazzo della Pilotta, facing Piazza della Gaya missing, and once stood next to the Dominican Church of San Pietro was demolished recently.

The current complex of the Palazzo della Pilotta consists of three buildings: Cortile di San Pietro Martire, better known as Cortile della Pilotta, Cortile del Guastatoya and Cortile della Rocchetta. The Palace was originally planned to accommodate a large hall, later turned vteatr Farnese, the stables, rooms for grooms, etc. In the end of the reign of the Farnese family in Parma in 1730-ies, a large part of the furnishings of the Palazzo were removed by Duke Charles I of Naples. And in 1769, the year the building was founded the Palatina Library.

In 2015 year in the building of the Palazzo della Pilotta home to several cultural institutions and museums like the national archaeological Museum, the art school Angst, the Bodoni Museum, the Baroque Teatro Farnese and the national gallery of Parma. At last, you can see works by such masters as Beato Angelico, Canaletto, Correggio, Guercino, Leonardo da Vinci, Tintoretto and others. To assemble a collection of works of art of the Renaissance the beginning of the family Farnese. Later, in 1734, the year, most of the pictures were removed to Naples by order of Charles III Spanish, but some managed to keep in the city. The surviving part of the collection was subsequently enlarged by artifacts of the Greco-Roman period, gifts from notable residents of Parma and acquisitions. During the French occupation of Parma in the early 19th century the Museum's collection was again taken away from the city, this time in Paris, but was returned in 1816, the year. Later, by order of the Duchess Maria Luisa in Palazzo della Pilotta was built a special room to store the collection.