/ / Palazzo della Farnesina: photos, description (Palazzo della Farnesina)

Palazzo della Farnesina: photos, description (Palazzo della Farnesina)

Palazzo della Farnesina - a government building in Rome, situated between the hill of Monte Mario and the Tiber river in the heart of the Italian forum. Designed in 1935-m to year, it is the seat of the Ministry of foreign Affairs of Italy since 1959.

The nine-floor building was designed by the architects Enrico Del Debbio, Arnaldo Foschini and Vittorio Morpurgo Ballio. It was originally planned that it will house the headquarters of the national fascist party of Italy. The construction of the Palace was interrupted in 1943 year, because of the Second World war and ended only in 1959 year. Palazzo immediately took 13 different divisions of the Ministry of foreign Affairs. Since then, the word "Farnesina" is usually associated with the activities of the Ministry. Once in place, the Palazzo housed the gardens of the Orti della Farnesina, belonged to Pope Paul III, a member of the Farnese family. The building itself should not be confused with the Villa Farnesina of the 16th century, standing in the Trastevere district - it is also often simply called Farnesina.

The facade of the Palazzo della Farnesina was built of white Italian limestone that, in General, is quite unusual for architecture of the fascist era. Inside the building with a width of 169 meters and a height of 51 meters, is more than 1,300 rooms. This is one of the largest buildings in Italy - size it can be compared with the Palace of Caserta.

In 1999, the year the Ministry of the interior launched a project to open access to the collections of the Palazzo della Farnesina for everyone. For this was organized a number of exhibitions dedicated to Italian art of the 20th century, including the art of the fascist era, art Nouveau, avant-garde and abstract art. In 2008 year, the collection of the Palazzo has been enriched with new acquisitions, among them mostly the work of contemporary artists.