/ / Palazzo della Civilta Italiana: photos, description (Palazzo della Civita Italiana)

Palazzo della Civilta Italiana: photos, description (Palazzo della Civita Italiana)

Palazzo della Civilta Italiana, also known as Palazzo della Civilta del Lavoro or simply "Colosseo Quadrato" (Square Colosseum) - an icon of fascist architecture. Its construction began in 1935 on the orders of Benito Mussolini for the universal exhibition which was to be held in Rome in 1942. The building itself, which is a major business centre, had become a symbol of fascism for the world. The architects were Giovanni Guerrini, Ernesto Bruno La Padula and Mario Romano. The construction lasted until 1943, but the Grand opening took place in November 1940. Today the Palazzo is considered one of the most impressive buildings of the Renaissance of fascism in Europe. In 2015, it will house the headquarters of the fashion house Fendi, and the first floor will remain open for exhibitions and expositions.

Palazzo della Civilta Italiana gives a visual representation of how would look like the city architecture of Italy if the fascist regime had not fallen during the Second world war - a wide symmetrical streets and austere buildings of limestone, tuff and marble, inspired by the architecture of ancient Rome. This style is often called simplified Neoclassicism.

The design of the "Square Colosseum", was copied from the ancient Coliseum, and the idea that Mussolini had to sing one of the ancient sights of Rome. Modeled on its ancient predecessor, the Palazzo consists of six rows of loggias, with nine niches in each. These numbers are not randomly selected and are designed to perpetuate the name of the dictator: 6 letters in Benito and 9 in the name of Mussolini. The building is entirely faced with marble, which is typical for the entire region. And its dimensions are impressive - the base covers an area of 8 400 square meters, height is 68 m. the corners are placed four equestrian sculptural composition, Publio of Morbiducci and Alberto de Felci, representing the Dioscuri, the two mythical Greek heroes, sons of Zeus and Leda. In addition, there are 28 statues height of about 3.4 m, which was established in 1942 year.