/ / Palazzo del Circolo del Unión: photo description (Palazzo del Circolo Dell'unione)

Palazzo del Circolo del Unión: photo description (Palazzo del Circolo Dell'unione)

Palazzo del Circolo del Unión, for centuries known as the Palazzo Corsi, Alessandro Montauto and the Palazzo delle La commenda da Castiglione, the Palace of the late Renaissance in Florence, located on via Tornabuoni. Within its walls are housed residential apartments, offices and a small hotel.

In the 15th to mid - 16th-century building many times changed owners, until in 1559, the year it was bought by the banker and the merchant, Simone di Jacopo Corsi. He instructed the architects Giorgio Vasari, and Ammannati Gianbologna to draft a aristocratic Palazzo and to make it a reality. The Corsi family owned the Palace until 1780, the year, when it passed to the Corporation "La commenda da Castiglione" religious order of St. Stephen. A little later the new owner, Gerardi Uguccioni, instructed Giulio Mannaioni to overhaul the Palazzo, after which it again changed hands, becoming the property of the family of Montauto. These numerous changes of owners is reflected in the name of the Palace, which also has varied over the centuries.

In 1853, the year the Palazzo was a meeting place for members of the elite club "Circolo del Unión", which at the beginning of the 20th century bought the building. Today the offices of the club occupy part of the Palace.

In the 16th century Palazzo del Circolo del Union was known for its facade decorated with a fresco by Domenico di Francesco Sciena and Giovanni Fiammingo. The portal of the building topped with a bust Francescoli I, the creation of which is attributed to Giambologna. Inside, on the arches of the hall are preserved the allegorical depictions of the four continents and the grotesques painted by pupils of Vasari. At the end of the 18th century was ornate and the rooms overlooking the street, but later, these murals were moved to other buildings. And at the end of the 19th century interiors of the Palazzo at the initiative of the members of the club was decorated in an exotic, reminiscent of Oriental style, the work was carried out under the leadership of Prince Ferdinando Strozzi. Some vintage monochrome frescoes were discovered during restoration works of the mid-20th century. We should also mention the chapel erected in memory of club members who died in wartime.