/ / Palazzo degli the Hall: photos, description (Palazzo degli Elefanti)

Palazzo degli the Hall: photos, description (Palazzo degli Elefanti)

Palazzo degli hall of the Palace of the Elephants is a monument of architecture in Catania, which now houses the city hall. It was originally called Palazzo Senatorio.

The construction of the Palace standing on the North side of the picturesque Piazza Duomo, was begun on the site of the destroyed medieval buildings three years after the terrible earthquake of 1693. The creation of the project attributed to Giovanni Battista Longobardo. However, it is known that in the first half of the 18th century over the Eastern, southern and Western facades of the Palazzo worked for the celebrated architect Giovanni Battista vaccarini, while the Northern facade, facing the Piazza of the University is the creation of Carmelo Battaglia. Vaccarini designed a Central balcony supported by four granite columns, and adorned the pediments of the other balconies, the letter "a" - named after the patron Saint of Catania, Saint Agatha, and numerous sculptures of elephants - hence the name Palazzo.

The main staircase leading into the inner courtyard with four porticoes were added by Stefano Uttaram later, in the early 19th century. In the entrance of the Palace kept two carriages of the 18th century, one of which was made in Germany, - the crews are used during the celebrations in honour of St Agatha, to deliver the mayor of Catania in the Church of Santa Agata Alla Fornace to participate in the ceremony. Around the Palace there is a small garden with a square shape. And the main hall of the first floor of the Palazzo and in the chamber you can see pictures of Sicilian artists Giuseppe Mess and Francesco Contraffatto.

In 1944, as a result of civil unrest in the Palace there was a fire in which was destroyed a valuable archive documents and Museum of the Risorgimento, and the building itself was seriously damaged. After the fire all the rooms of Palazzo degli the Hall was restored and rebuilt in its original form. Updated Palace opened its doors in 1952.