/ / The Palazzo di Giustizia: photos, description (Palazzo di Giustizia)

The Palazzo di Giustizia: photos, description (Palazzo di Giustizia)

The Palazzo di Giustizia - the headquarters of the Supreme cassation court and the Law library in Rome in the Prati district. Facing Piazza dei Tribunali and Piazza Cavour and in the side streets of via Triboniano and via Ulpiano. The Italians call this huge building, Palazzaccio ("the bad Palace").

Designed by the architect from Perugia, Guglielmo Calderini and built between 1888 and 1910 years, the Palazzo di Giustizia is considered one of the greatest creations of the time, when Rome was declared the capital of the Kingdom of Italy. The first Foundation stone of the Palace was laid in March, 1888, the year in the presence of Giuseppe Zanardelli, the Minister of justice, who insisted that the Palazzo was built in a prestigious district of Prati, which already housed a courthouse. And the official opening of the Palazzo took place in the presence of Victor Emmanuel II, king of Italy.

To alluvial soil of these places could sustain such a large structure, it was necessary to build a solid platform of concrete. But despite this, problems with the stability of the building began to occur immediately after completion of construction. It took even a thorough restoration, which was conducted in 1970-ies.

Interestingly, during the time of construction in the course of excavations on the site of the Foundation there have been several archaeological finds, including were found ancient sarcophagi. In one of the sarcophagi found the skeleton of a young woman with amazing beauty doll made of ivory, which is now kept in the Museum "Antiquarium Comunale".

The huge size of the Palazzo di Giustizia, luxurious scenery and long construction period gave rise to rumors of corruption. In April 1912, the year was even established a special Commission to investigate these rumors - it was from that time the building became known popularly as Palazzaccio.

The Supreme court of cassation, the architecture of which was influenced by the works of the masters of the late Renaissance and Baroque, has a 170 m in length and is fully lined travertine marble. The facade, facing the Tiber, crowned by a great bronze Quadriga, the ancient two-wheeled chariot drawn by four horses. Quadriga, installed in 1926 year, the work of a sculptor from Palermo Ettore Jimenez. Ten statues of famous jurists adorn the main facade and the courtyard. And the upper part of the façade looking out on Piazza Cavour, is decorated with a bronze emblem of the Savoy dynasty. Inside you can examine the Hall of the Supreme Court - it is decorated with frescoes by Cesare Maccari and his disciple Paride pascucci.