/ / The Ducal Palace in Colorno: pictures, description (Palazzo Ducale di Colorno)

The Ducal Palace in Colorno: pictures, description (Palazzo Ducale di Colorno)

Palazzo Ducale di Colorno Palace in the town of Colorno, province of Parma in the Italian region Emilia-Romagna. Built by the Duke of Parma, Francesco Farnese in the early 18th century on the site of an ancient castle.

The Rocca - the castle was erected on the banks of the river for its protection and the protection of Azzo da Correggio. In 16-17 centuries the building was restored by order of the Countess Barbara, Sanseverino, who dreamed of this Palace for his court, and also the place for storing your priceless collection of paintings by artists such as Raphael, Titian, Mantegna and Correggio. After Barbara, Sanseverino the Palace began to own the Dukes of Parma of the Farnese family. So, Ranuccio II and his wife Margherita Violante started the reconstruction of the Palazzo, which was completed under their son Francesco. Directed the work of the architect Ferdinando Bibbiena.

In the 18th century Duke Philip had commissioned a French architect to Refine the petito family residence, taking a sample of the scenery of the Palace of Versailles in Paris. He wanted to please his wife, Louisa Elizabeth, eldest daughter of the king of France Louis XV.

In November 1807, the year after the annexation of the Duchy of Parma to the French Empire, the Ducal Palace was declared Imperial property. Started a new restoration. It was here that Maria Louise, wife of Napoleon placed his court, making the Palace the favourite residence. In her order was a spacious garden in the English style.

Later, at the end of the 19th century, the Ducal Palace became the property of the Italian state, and then was purchased by the province administration of Parma. During the Second world war the Palace was seriously damaged but was restored. Today the wall is "ALMA", the world - famous cookery school.