/ / Palazzo CA’ Foscari: photos, description (Ca’ Foscari)

Palazzo CA’ Foscari: photos, description (Ca’ Foscari)

Palazzo CA’ Foscari - a Gothic Palace situated on the banks of the Grand canal in Venice in the Dorsoduro district and once belonged to Doge Francesco Foscari. It was built in 1452 year by the architect Bartolomeo Bon in place of the old building, bearing the romantic name "the House with two towers." This house, which, as the name implies, the two towers, in 1429, the year the Republic of Venice bought from Bernardo Giustiniani and made the residence of his Vice-captain, Gianfrancesco Gonzaga. However, the captain donated the residence prkaticheski, and the house was used to receive illustrious guests of the Republic. Later the house was purchased by the Doge Francesco Foscari, who completely destroyed it and rebuilt in the Gothic style. The construction of CA’ Foscari was completed in 1457, the year, and just seven days after the Doge moved to a new residence, he lost his throne.

CA’ Foscari is a typical example of the houses of the Venetian nobility. The ground floor was used as warehouse, ground and first floor were the living quarters, which bore the General name of the "piano Nobile". Central arcade second floor is made on the model of the facade of the loggia of the Palazzo Ducale, and its huge Windows illuminate the Great Hall. In General, the CA’ Foscari is one of the most impressive buildings of Venice with a private courtyard. Its facade is decorated with arches, columns and Windows, which in turn is decorated with images of the quatrefoil and the lion. In 2008 year, the main portal of the Palace, made of white Istrian marble, was restored by students of the University CA’ Foscari. Restoration has also been some internal rooms of the Palace, including its large halls.