/ / Palazzo CAPITANO del Popolo: photo, description, Palazzo Capitano del Popolo)

Palazzo CAPITANO del Popolo: photo, description, Palazzo Capitano del Popolo)

Palazzo CAPITANO del Popolo, located in the eponymous square in Orvieto, is a simple building impresses with its generosity. It was built in the first years after the town became an independent commune in the early 13th century. In so many important buildings of Orvieto can be seen borrowed from the Palazzo architectural elements, ranging from a Bishop's Palace, Palazzo dei Papi and ending patrimonial estates of noble residents. Details such as the Grand arches supporting the first floor of the building or staggered cornices meet in the city everywhere.

Construction on the Palazzo began in the first quarter of the 13th century, probably by order of Neri della Greca. This was the place where 1157 stood the Papal Palace, having fallen into decay, the result of a long period of civil unrest. According to some sources, the Papal Palace was even burned.

Initially the Palazzo CAPITANO del Popolo consisted of a single storey, the covered gallery, which was used as a market square or meeting place. Here often the magistrates addressed a speech to the people, and the rulers of conquered cities swore allegiance to Orvieto. At the same place in 1375 Orvieto obedient to the Church, becoming part of the Papal possessions.

Ten years after the completion of the Palazzo was expanded and in 1315 it was attached the bell tower, which was placed decorated with different symbols bell. In 1472 the upper part of the Palace was covered with a roof, and a huge hall divided into two rooms - one double received the name of the Hall dei Quattrocento. For many decades in the Palazzo housed the residence of the head of the people's militia, the city's podestà (ruler) and the so-called Seven Sirs.

Since 1596 in one of the rooms housed the auditorium where twice a day engaged students who have studied jurisprudence, theology, and logic. This lasted until the late 17th century, and more about this mini-University is not known.

In 1578 the upper floors of the Palazzo was used as a theatre, productions of which were sponsored by the government of the commune. In our time, between 1987 and 1989, the building underwent restoration works, after which the Palace was turned into a conference centre. During these same works were made interesting archaeological discoveries, in particular, were found the foundations of an Etruscan temple of the 5th century BC and part of the medieval aqueduct with cistern.