/ / Palazzo Communale: photos, description (Palazzo Communale)

Palazzo Communale: photos, description (Palazzo Communale)

The Palazzo Communale, also known as Palazzo D'accursio, the castle of the City Council of Bologna, located in the Western part of Piazza Maggiore. As it stands on a hill, to see it from almost anywhere in the city. In the right part of the Palazzo houses an art gallery with works by masters 13-19 centuries - among other here is a picture of the great painter Piero della Francesca "the Resurrection of Christ." Also inside the Palace houses the Museum Morandi, with the works of Giorgio Morandi, donated to the city by members of his family. The Museum was opened in 1993. On the facade there is a huge bronze monument to Pope Gregory XIII, who was a native of Bologna and earned fame as a reformer. The author of the sculpture - Alessandro Menganti.

Initially, the Palazzo Communale was the residence of the famous Italian lawyer and Professor of the University of Bologna Francis Accorso - hence the second name of the Palace. With 1336 and here were held the meetings of Elders, higher ranks of the city, and then here was peristyles and the whole administration of Bologna. In the 15th century Palazzo was restored Fioravante Fioravanti, who built the clock tower (Torre D'accursio. Sight of the facade is movable grate and a terracotta statue of the Madonna and child work by Niccolo del Arch. In the City Council chambers on the first floor you can see frescoes depicting senators of Bologna and of the history of the city. Two flights of stairs the end of the 16th century lead to the first floor in the Hall of the Farnese, rebuilt in 1665 on the initiative of cardinal Girolamo Farnese - before hall was called the Royal, as it was here in 1530 was crowned Carlos V. Here is a small chapel with frescoes of Prospero Fontana.