/ / Palazzo Corvaja: photos, description (Palazzo Corvaja)

Palazzo Corvaja: photos, description (Palazzo Corvaja)

Palazzo Corvaja - a medieval Palace in Taormina, built in the 10th century by the Arabs who captured the city in 902 year. In the years of his reign, they built in Sicily, numerous fortifications, including the Palazzo Corvaja.

The name of the Palace comes from the name of its owners - the family of Corvaja, which was one of the most important aristocratic families of Taormina and owned the Palace from 1538 to 1945. The Palazzo is in Piazza Badia the right of the Church of St. Catherine of Alexandria.

The main part of the Palace is an old Arab tower in the shape of a cube, resembling the Holy Kaaba of Muslims, that was used to protect the city. The influence of Arab architecture is also very noticeable in the inner courtyard with its arched Windows and doorways. In the 13th century the lower part of the tower were enlarged. At the same time was built a staircase leading to the first floor on the elegant balcony facing the courtyard. On the landing you can see three magnificent murals from Syracuse stone: one depicted the creation of eve, the second the original sin and the expulsion of Adam and eve from Paradise. In the early 15th century the building was attached to the right wing, then the seat of the Parliament of Sicily. By the way, why Palazzo Corvaja sometimes called the Palazzo del Parliament.

In the mid-16th century the Palace became the property of the family of Corvaja, whose members actively participated in political and cultural life of Taormina. The noble family owned the building until 1945, when it began extensive restoration work under the guidance of architect Armando Dillo. The last three years has carefully restored all the features inherent in the Palace of styles - Arab, the Norman, which made the main hall of the 15th century, and the Gothic characteristic of the Windows of the facade. Since 2009, it is the office of the local Association of tourism and hotel business.

Close to Palazzo Corvaja located Roman Odeon, the building of Naumachie and the ancient Greek theatre.