/ / Palazzo Marigliano: photo description (Palazzo Marigliano)

Palazzo Marigliano: photo description (Palazzo Marigliano)

Palazzo Marigliano, also known as the Palazzo di Capua, - Renaissance Palace in the heart of Naples on via San Biagio dei Librai. The present appearance of the Palace was designed by architect Giovanni Donadio, known as Il Mormando, and implemented in 1512-1513 the years on the building belonging to Bartolomeo di Capua, Prince Ricca, and count of Altavilla. Over the centuries the structure of the Palace was changed.

Many historical events had a direct or indirect relation to Palazzo Marigliano. For example, at the beginning of the 18th century during the War of the Spanish succession in this Palace was held the meeting of participants of a failed conspiracy, Mackie under the leadership of Gaetano Gambacorta. And in the middle of the 18th century, the Palace interiors have been updated and redecorated, in particular new murals in the ballroom. Unfortunately, these frescoes were seriously damaged during the bombing of Naples by the allies in 1942, the year. Other decorations of the Palace with allegorical pictures belong to the brush of Giovanni Battista Maffei.

After the genus Capua ceased to exist, Palazzo Marigliano became the property of the second son, Sanseverino di Bisignano, count of Saponara. In the 19th century Bisognano sold the Palace to Francesco Saverio Marigliano, the Duke of Monte, in whose name the structure is known today. On the walls of the Armory hall of the Palazzo you can see the heraldic symbols of the family Marigliano. And their family, the chapel was frescoed by Maffei.

Today, a large part of Palazzo Marigliano is Archived Campaign office (Soprintendenza Archivistica della Campania), but by prior arrangement tourists can go inside and see some rooms of the ancient aristocratic residence, which played a role in the history of Naples.