/ / Palazzo Massimo alle Colonna: photos, description (Palazzo Massimo alle Colonne)

Palazzo Massimo alle Colonna: photos, description (Palazzo Massimo alle Colonne)

Palazzo Massimo alle Colonna - Renaissance Palace in Rome. Designed in 1532-1536-m's architect, Baldassare Peruzzi, and built on the site of three adjoining buildings owned by the old Roman Massimo family. All three buildings were destroyed during a fire in 1527, the year when the sack of Rome by the troops of Charles V.

The curved façade of the Palazzo to get this form of due to the fact that was built on the foundations of the stadium of Emperor Domiziano. The Palace facing the busy street of Corso Vittorio Emanuele and is a few hundred meters from the Church of Sant'andrea della Valle. The entrance to the building is notable for a Central portico with the six Doric columns, as a pair, and single. Inside there are two courtyards, one of which is also adorned with a portico with Doric columns at the base of the richly decorated loggia. The presence of these columns gave the Palace its name - Palazzo Massimo alle Colonna. The facade of the building is considered one of the most outstanding examples of Renaissance architecture - it combines elegance and rough masonry stones (rustication). Recessed entrance gallery differ from similar structures of the Palazzo at the time. In addition, you can see the Windows of different sizes at different levels, as well as decorative window frames on the third floor. Unlike the Palazzo Medici, this Palace is no strict observance of combining orders, depending on height.

Opposite the front overlooking the small square Piazzetta dei Massimo, the Palace connects with the frescoed façade of the extension - Palazzetto Massimi. For many centuries in its walls housed the Central post office of Rome, former additional source of income of the family Massimo. On the left is Palazzo di Pirro, built by a pupil of Antonio da Sangallo.

Inside the Palazzo Massimo alle Colonna elaborately decorated with rosettes and coffered ceilings. On the vaulting of the vestibule is preserved a fresco by Daniele da Volterra depicting scenes from the life of Fabio Massimo, the alleged founder of the family. Every 16th of March the Palazzo is open to visitors on this day in 1583, the year of the young Paolo Massimo was returned to life by the prayers of St. Philip Neri.