/ / Palazzo Monte di pietà: photos, description, Palazzo Monte di Pieta)

Palazzo Monte di pietà: photos, description, Palazzo Monte di Pieta)

Palazzo Monte di pietà is a historic building in Naples, located on Spaccanapoli. Once in its walls was a city of Lombard the "Monte di Pieta".

Lombard was founded in 1539, the year after Emperor Charles V issued the edict of expulsion of Jews engaged in usury. In the Middle ages Christians were forbidden to lend money to interest-bearing debt, although this requirement was often ignored in the commercial cities of the Peninsula. In response to Royal decree, some of the aristocrats of Naples, including Aurelio Paparo, Gian Domenico di Lega, and Leonardo Palma, has created a non-profit organization for the issuance of bail money. In 1574, the year the merchant Bernardino Rota gave five hundred ducats to the Monte di Pieta - it was founded the brotherhood for the management of the pawnshop, which in the early years it was housed in the Palazzo Carafa d ' Andria. Later, Lombard moved into a new building - the Palazzo of Girolamo Carafa.

Between 1597 and 1603, the year Gian Battista Cavagna with the participation of Giovanni Giacomo Di Conforto and Giovanni Cola di Franco built building with adjoining chapel in the style of mannerism, where he moved a pawn shop. In 1786, the year during the fire in the archives of the Bank and decorating the interior artwork was destroyed, but the chapel survived.

Today, the Palazzo Monte di Pieta noteworthy portal with Doric columns. The chapel was built under the impression of the Church of Sant'andrea in via Flaminia, attracts attention with its façade. On both sides of the entrance, between two ionic columns, are two niches with statues of Pietro Bernini, father of the famous sculptor Gian Lorenzo Bernini. Inside the chapel is decorated with frescoes by the Greek painter, Belisario, Corenzio and paintings of Ippolito Borghese, Girolamo Imparato and Fabrizio Santafede. In the sacristy is preserved the tomb of cardinal Acquaviva, the work of Cosimo, Fanzago. Also in the chapel are the portraits of king Charles III and his wife Maria Amalia of Saxony and a wooden sculpture of a Pieta of the 17th century work Naccherino.