/ / Palazzo Orsini di Gravina: photos, description (Palazzo Orsini di Gravina)

Palazzo Orsini di Gravina: photos, description (Palazzo Orsini di Gravina)

Palazzo Orsini di Gravina Palace in the Renaissance style in the centre of Naples, situated in the district of San Lorenzo along via di Monteoliveto. From 1940, the year it hosts the architecture faculty of the University of Naples. The Palace is located on the opposite side of the street a few steps from the modern and glamorous Palazzo delle Poste. Here, in the North wall of the Palazzo, lies the Piazza di Monteoliveto fountain and the Church of Sant'anna dei Lombardi.

Palazzo Orsini di Gravina, built for aristocrat Ferdinando Orsini, who acquired a piece of land from the nearby Church of Santa Chiara. The first two floors of the facade was built from 1513 to 1549, the first years. For centuries the Palace many times changed masters, passing from hand to hand, but almost always were in any way associated with the Orsini family until the 19th century. It then became the property of the Bourbon dynasty and its walls housed the institutions of government. Only in the middle of the 20th century the Palazzo was given to the University of Naples.

It is not known who was the architect of the Palace, although some attribute the creation of the initial project little known by Gabriele d'angelo. But it is well established that in 1548-1549-m years on some external decorations worked Giovanni Francesco di Palma.

The main facade of the Palazzo Orsini di Gravina, overlooking via Monteoliveto, a remarkable stone-clad first floor. The second floor is highlighted with Windows framed by marble frame and crowned with a round niches with busts. High Windows "lie" on the marble cornice and separated from each other by columns with mixed Doric-Corinthian capitals. The overall appearance of the Palazzo is striking in its elegance and grace and calls to mind the modern palaces of Rome, for example, Vidoni Palazzo Caffarelli.

The entrance to the Palace was designed and implemented by Mario Gioffredo in 1766 year. At the same time the interior was painted with frescoes by Giuseppe Bonito and Francesco de Mura and Fedele, Fischetti. In the same years was completed the fourth wing of the building near the patio. After a fire that occurred during the revolution of 1848, the year and caused great damage to the building, the Palace was restored by Gaetano Genovesi project. And in the 19th century was added to the third floor with balconies, which, however, in the 20th century were demolished.