/ / Palazzo Poggi: photos, description (Palazzo Poggi)

Palazzo Poggi: photos, description (Palazzo Poggi)

Palazzo Poggi is one of the main palaces of Bologna, which today houses the Museum of the University of Bologna. This huge complex of buildings in Renaissance style was built in the mid 16th century by order of Poggi brothers - Alessandro and Giovanni. Interestingly, financial assistance for construction was provided by the Pope Benedict XIV. On the creation of the facade worked to Pellegrino Tibaldi, although some parts of it - the work of Bartolomeo Trikini.

In 1614, the Palazzo was sold to the Prince of Montecuccoli, and in 1672 it was leased by the Marquis Francesco Azzolini, which was almost luxurious furnishings. Then for several years the Palace passed from hand to hand, until in 1711, at the insistence of influential Luigi Marsili here is not a Scientific Institute. A year later, close, construction began on the astronomical Observatory, who became later one of the largest in Europe. Its project was developed by Giuseppe Antonio Torri, and construction was completed in 1725 by Carlo Francesco Dotti. Well, after a temporary closure in 1803, of the University of Bologna in Palazzo Poggi housed administrative offices and various Museum collections, demonstrating the scientific advances of those years.

Right at the entrance to the Palace is a door leading to the auditorium named after one of the most famous natives of Bologna - poet giosuè Carducci. Here is a small collection of articles, photographs and other documents relevant to that period of University history, when it was taught Carducci. On each wall hang the portraits - for example, one that is at the head table, painted in 1901. In the corner stands a copy of "Hercules" Angelo PIO, and nearby is a small study, which exhibits the traditional costumes of the professors.

Along the main corridor is a small patio, which is credited with Trientine. In the center stands the original statue of the aforementioned Hercules. Among the decorations of the courtyard it is worth noting the sections in the style of Roman Mannerists and pediment Windows, placed at the same distance from each other. Here you can see busts of those who in different years played an important role in the history of the University.