/ / Palazzo podestà: photos, description (Palazzo del Podesta)

Palazzo podestà: photos, description (Palazzo del Podesta)

The Palazzo Podesta is a medieval Palace in Bologna, built around 1200 as the residence of the local heads of the administration (in those years they were called - of the Podesta). The Palace stands on the Piazza Maggiore, near the Palazzo Communale and directly opposite the Basilica of San Petronio. In 1245 was added to Palazzo Re Enzo, over which stands the Torre del Arengo whose bell of Campanazo was used for convening the inhabitants of the city only in emergency cases.

Palazzo podestà is a long building with a large lobby on the upper floor. The lower floor is a double open arcade, the so-called Voltone del podestà, which previously housed the workshops of the craftsmen and merchants, and today is the fashionable shops.

In 1453, Aristotle Fioravanti altered the original Gothic facade of the Palazzo - he made it in the Renaissance style by order of Giovanni Bentivoglio, an influential inhabitant of Bologna. The current facade of the Palace is made of brick and Sandstone. In 1525 in the passage were placed the terracotta statues of the patrons of Bologna - saints Petronio, Proculus, Dominic and Francis. The balustrade that once had a railing, in 1604 was shortened by Pietro Fiorini, and the portico has undergone significant changes in the years 1837-1842. Another restoration of the façade was completed in 1887. For over two centuries - from 1581 1767 years - Palazzo served as a theatre, later used as a field for ball games, and in the 20th century was converted into a gym for firefighters. In the first quarter of the last century on the decoration of the Palazzo Podesta worked Adolfo de Carolis, whose sudden death prevented the completion of the restoration the luxury of the building.