/ / Palazzo Pretorio: photos, description (Palazzo Pretorio)

Palazzo Pretorio: photos, description (Palazzo Pretorio)

Palazzo Pretorio in the Tuscan town of Prato was once City Hall. The building is located in the heart of the city, opposite the present Palazzo Comunale. Today its walls exhibitions of the City Museum of Prato, re-opened in 2013-m to year.

The main building is the Palazzo Pretorio, in its present form was built in the late 13th - early 14th centuries by the merging of three separate structures to accommodate the head of the commune (the local podestà), the court and the prison. Various construction materials, visible on the facade, still allow to distinguish between these three structures.

The oldest part of the Palazzo Pretorio is still prominent on the right, a tower house of the 13th century with a portico on the ground floor with pillars of limestone. He once belonged to the family of Pipini. In 1284, the year the house was bought to accommodate the administration of Prato. In the 16th century, the building with the bell tower collapsed, and during the restoration, was built a new tower with becausemy her teeth. At the end of the 19th century it was proposed to demolish the building, but in 1909, the year it was restored and thus saved.

To the left of the facade is another building Dating back to the 14th century. It is noteworthy eight elegant arched Windows and tabernaculum - a tower-shaped building with a statue. In tabernacle until the end of the 18th century stood a statue of Robert of Anjou, once considered the protector of Prato. However, he eventually sold Prato Florence, putting an end to the independence of the city. Inside are preserved a series of ancient frescoes Bettino Corsino and Pietro and Antonio di Miniato.

In 1788, the year the Great Duke of Tuscany Leopold expressed the desire to create in Prato art school. By the mid-19th century collection of works created by students of the institution were gathered in the city Museum located next to City Hall. And since 1912, the year the Museum moved into the premises of Palazzo Pretorio, today it exhibits works of art since the era of the middle Ages to the 19th century.