/ / Palazzo Reale: photo description (Palazzo Reale)

Palazzo Reale: photo description (Palazzo Reale)

The Palazzo Reale, also known as the Palazzo Regio and Palazzo Vicarage, is a historic building in Cagliari, in Sardinia, the ancient residence of the Royal governors of the time of the Aragonese dynasty and the period of Spanish domination. Here were housed the representatives of the Savoy dynasty. Today the Palazzo Reale is the Prefecture and the provincial administration of Cagliari.

The Palace is located in Piazza Palazzo, in the historic quarter of Castello. It was built in the 14th century, and since 1337, the year by order of Peter IV of Aragon became the residence of the Viceroy. For centuries the building was rebuilt several times and expanded. In particular, a major renovation of the Palazzo has undergone in the 18th century. In 1730, the year by architects from Piedmont Joubert and Vincenti was built a staircase in Scalone d Honore, which led to the second floor. The rooms of the first floor was renovated in 1735, the year. The Western facade with the main portal were established around 1769, the year, as appears from the inscription in the lunette of glazed doors opening onto the Central balcony.

Between 1799 and 1815, the years, the Palazzo Reale was the official residence of the Royal family and court who were in exile (Turin in those years was busy with Napoleon). And in 1885, the year the Palace became the property of the province of Cagliari - it housed the provincial government. At the same time the interior was again restored. In 1893, the year work began on the decoration of the Council chamber - the artist from Perugia Domenico Bruschi made the frescoes and stucco angels. The decoration of the Palazzo Reale was completed in 1896 year.