/ / The Palazzo Reale in Portici: photo description (Palazzo Reale di Portici)

The Palazzo Reale in Portici: photo description (Palazzo Reale di Portici)

The Palazzo Reale di Portici, a former Royal Palace in the town of Portici near Naples. Today it houses the administration of the Botanical garden of Portici, administered by the University of Naples.

In 1735, the year of the Spanish Infante, Carl was crowned king of Naples and Sicily at the age of 18 years. Together with his wife, Princess Maria Amalia of Saxony, he once visited Portici and was so entranced by the area that he ordered to build a Palace here, which could serve not only his private residence but also to receive foreign guests. Construction work began in 1738, the year under the guidance of architect Antonio Canevari, who appealed for help to the most outstanding architects of his time. Above the painting of the interiors of the Palace worked Giuseppe Bonito, and the garden was decorated with marble sculptures by Joseph Canart.

In the course of construction works on the territory of the future of the Royal estate was discovered the remains of several ancient villas and aristocratic residences, and temple with 24 marble columns. Many of the discovered exhibits stored in the Museum specially created by the order of Charles III. Since the new Royal Palace was not large enough to accommodate all of the yard, in its neighbourhood soon began to build additional residences, of which 122 are known today as Vesuviana Villa. For many years Carl III and his wife used the Palazzo Reale di Portici as a summer residence. Here was born the seven of the 12 Royal children.

After 1759, the year Charles III officially ascended to the Spanish throne, the Palazzo Reale di Portici passed to his son Ferdinand, but he preferred his Palace of Caserta and Portici he lived, the elder son of Charles, mentally retarded Prince Felipe. The last one died in the Palace in 1777, the year. At the end of the 18th century, the Palace was built Opera house, and in the reign of Napoleon, the interior was decorated with French furniture.

The main Park of the Palace, known as the Giardino della Regina, originally extended from Pullano to the slopes of mount Vesuvius to one side and Granatello the sea to another. The Park was divided into two parts: at the bottom you can see various sculptures, statues and even an amphitheater, and the top has a small zoo with kangaroos, elephants, lions, Panthers and antelopes.

Today, the walls of the Palazzo Reale di Portici hosts the agricultural faculty of the University of Naples. The estate itself boasts two parks - the West facing the Gulf of Naples, and the East looks at the Vesuvius. To the left of the courtyard are located the barracks Caserma delle Guardie Realization and chapel Cappella Palatina of the 18th century.