/ / Palazzo Rizo: photos, description (Palazzo Riso)

Palazzo Rizo: photos, description (Palazzo Riso)

Palazzo Rizo, located on the historic street of Palermo, Corso Vittorio Emanuele, now occupied by the Museum of Contemporary Art of Sicily. The Palace building itself, designed by the architect Giuseppe Venanzo Marvoilia in the late 18th century for the Prince of Belmonte, Giuseppe Emanuele Ventimiglia, was built on the outcome of the domination of the Sicilian Baroque style and was later rebuilt in the neoclassical style. The construction of the Palazzo was completed in 1784, and in the 19th century it became the property of Baron Rizo. In honor of this event the sculptor Ignazio Marabitti on the entrance portal of the Palace of carved marble family coat of arms Rizzo. He also worked on neo-classical sculptures, mounted on the main balcony. During the Second World war the building was seriously damaged during air raids on Palermo - as a result of falling bombs part of the Palace collapsed, destroying the ancient frescoes of Antonio Manno, who was in the Grand ballroom. Then for many years the building stood abandoned. Only in the mid-1990-ies on the initiative of the government of the Autonomous region of Sicily began extensive restoration work, and since 2008 in the Palazzo Rizo is the Museum of modern art.

Today it is one of the most significant exhibition spaces in the region. First of all here you can get acquainted with the works of local artist Andrea Di Marco, Alessandro Bazan, Giovanni Anselmo, Domenico Mangano, Carla Accardi, Croce Taravella, Paola Pivi, salvo and many others. The Museum also has a library and cafeteria, and in the future it is planned to increase the exhibition area at the expense of the renovation, the rooms are located next to the factory destroyed during the war.