/ / Palazzo Re Enzo: photo description (Palazzo Re Enzo)

Palazzo Re Enzo: photo description (Palazzo Re Enzo)

Palazzo Re Enzo Palace in Bologna, which received its name from the name of the ruler of Sardinia, Enzo, son of Emperor Frederick II, who was imprisoned here from 1249 until his death in 1272.

The Palace was built in 1245 as a continuation of the nearby Palazzo of the Podesta. Then it was simply called the Palazzo Nuovo - the new Palace. Three years after the completion of the Battle of Fossalta was captured Enzo of Sardinia, which after a short stay in Anzola moved to Bologna and imprisoned in the new Palazzo. According to legend, the day the prisoner was allowed to roam the Palace, but at night he was locked in a cage suspended from the ceiling. He had his own court staff and even a private chef. Also Enzo was allowed to see women so was born the three daughters and, according to unconfirmed version, the son, born of a simple peasant. The boy was called Bentivoglio, from the words "Amore mio, ben ti voglio", which translated from Italian means "baby, I love you." It is said that he became the ancestor of the famous Bentivoglio family, the rulers of Bologna in the 15th century. Enzo was buried in the Basilica of San Domenico, just like he wanted.

In 1386 Antonio di Vicenzo finished working on Room Three Hundred - the " Sala dei Trecento, which has become the city archives. In 1771, according to the project of Giovanni Giacomo Dotti was a large-scale reconstruction of the last floor of the Palace, and in the early 20th century, it acquired its present Gothic appearance thanks to the architect Alfonso Rubbiani. To the right of Palazzo Re Enzo stands the chapel of Santa Maria dei Carcerati crossed sentenced to death. On the first floor of the Palace was stored, Marrocco - four-wheeled vehicle-the altar, where the priests lead a service during the fighting, and other military weapons, and the middle floor was occupied by offices of praetor and another chapel.

Today, the luxurious Palazzo Re Enzo, having 2500 sq. m. area, is one of the main historical attractions of Bologna.