/ / Palazzo Serristori: photos, description (Palazzo Serristori)

Palazzo Serristori: photos, description (Palazzo Serristori)

Palazzo Serristori - Renaissance Palace in Rome, one of the few preserved during the construction of the street of via della Conciliazione leading to St. Peter's Basilica. The main facade of the building facing on via dei Cavalieri del Santo Sepolcro. Nearby are Palazzo CESI, Armellini and Palazzo Della Rovere, distinguished examples of architecture of the Renaissance.

At the end of the 15th century on the site of the modern Palazzo Serristori was a small Palace of Cesare Borgia, one of the sons of Pope Alexander VI. Later the building belonged to cardinal Bartolomeo Della Rovere, bitter enemy of the Borgia family. But in 1565, the year it was demolished and in its place began the construction of the Palace for Averardo Serristori, Ambassador of the Grand Duke of Tuscany Cosimo de ' Medici I. the First time the Palazzo has housed the Embassy of Tuscany, and the building was owned by the Serristori family until 1821, the year when it was purchased and transformed into barracks of the papal zouaves (military formations). In 1867, the year two revolutionary, Giuseppe Monti and Gaetano Tognetti, during the struggle for Italian unification was laid in the basement of the Palazzo bomb, which exploded, destroyed an entire wing of the building. During the explosion killed 23 obvious one is the sunglasses and four civilians. Both revolutionary was caught and sentenced to death.

After 1870, the year when Rome became the capital of the new state, in the Palazzo Serristori is located the barracks of the Bersaglieri - the Riflemen of the Italian army. At the beginning of the 20th century, the Palace was equipped with a residential building, but soon it took the school "Scuola Pontiff, founded by Pope Pius IX. And today, this school remains one of the most prestigious in Rome.

The main facade of Palazzo Serristori remarkable square Windows and a portal stone. Above the portal of the visible window topped with a pediment. Around the cornice repeats the pattern of "Keys to Paradise". Inside there is a large square courtyard in the Renaissance style with a loggia and arches and an open gallery. The fountain that once stood in the center of the yard, moved to the West wall. Here is preserved a Latin inscription praising the Pope Pius XI. The interiors of the Palace can be seen the fragments of the old frescoes with military and Patriotic themes. Here is a small chapel of the Intercession, with its Venetian window and Cantoria groin vault. The chapel is decorated with frescoes 1934, the year of the work of fra Aureliano, Suffoletto.