/ / The Palazzo Spada: photos, description (Palazzo Spada)

The Palazzo Spada: photos, description (Palazzo Spada)

The Palazzo Spada is a Palace in the historical center of Rome. Located in the heart of Regola in Piazza Capo di ferro, near the Palazzo Farnese. The Palace garden is situated on the Bank of the river Tiber. The Palazzo houses the Galleria Spada with a large collection of works of art, which was initiated in the 17th century by cardinal Bernardino Spada and his brother Virgilio Spada and supplemented by a Grand-nephew cardinal Fabrizio Spada.

The Palace was built in 1540, the year for cardinal Girolamo Capodiferro by the architect Bartolomeo Baronina. The sculptor Giulio Mazzoni and his team worked on luxurious stucco decorations of the interiors. In 1632, the year cardinal Spada purchased the Palace and commissioned the Baroque architect Francesco Borromini to modify it. What Borromini created the so-called altered perspective - an optical illusion in the arched courtyard, when the diminishing rows of columns and a rising floor create the impression of a gallery 37 meters (actually, its length is only 8 meters). Sculptures seemingly human-size, have actually only 60 centimeters high. In creating this illusion of the great architect helped a mathematician. Attract the attention of the stucco decorations of the facade of the Palace in the Mannerist style and sculpture in niches, festoons of flowers and fruits, grotesques and vignettes of a small bas-reliefs between the Windows - this is probably one of the most richly embellished facades of Rome.

Today, the Palazzo Spada is a Gallery of the Recession, where you can see paintings by artists of the 16th-17th centuries - Andrea del Sarto, Guido Reni, Titian, Jan Brueghel the Elder, Rubens, dürer, Caravaggio, Domenichino, Parmigianino, Orazio and other Paintings located in the same order as in the 17th century, they hung the cardinal. In addition, the building is from 1927, the year the property of the state, are the offices of the State Council of Italy, whose members sit in the richly decorated with frescoes and stucco halls.