/ / Palazzo Strozzi: photos, description (Palazzo Strozzi)

Palazzo Strozzi: photos, description (Palazzo Strozzi)

Palazzo Strozzi is a Palace in Florence, overlooking the ancient street of via de Tornabuoni. Its construction started in 1489, the year the architect Benedetto da Maiano, for Filippo Strozzi the Elder, a rival of the Medici who had returned to the city in 1466, the year and wished to build for himself the most luxurious palaces of the possible. Of course, the Palace had to Express some kind of political statement about the status of the Strozzi. To do this, in 1470-ies he bought a lot of buildings which were then demolished to make way for construction. Giuliano da Sangallo created a wooden model of the future Palazzo. But in 1491, the year Filippo Strozzi died before the completion of the construction in 1538, the year. In the same year the building was confiscated by Cosimo I of the Medici, and only 30 years later it was returned to the Strozzi family, which owned it until 1937. Then the building housed various organizations - the national insurance Institute, under whose auspices at the Palace held a large-scale reconstruction, Institute for the study of the Renaissance, library, etc. In 1999, the year the Palazzo Strozzi has become the property of the state, and it housed the Institute of the Humanities and the Palazzo Strozzi Foundation. Today it also hosts international exhibitions, such as the annual exhibition "Biennale del Antiquariato", fashion shows, cultural events, etc.

Palazzo Strozzi is an example of urban architecture with stone walls, modeled on the Palazzo Medici, but with more harmonious proportions. With all four sides the Palace is surrounded by streets, in contrast to the same corner of the Palazzo Medici, which made it the design is strictly symmetrical. The building is remarkable paired arched Windows and the dominant cornice, typical of the Florentine palaces of the time. Inside is a courtyard, surrounded by arched galleries created by Simone del Pollaiolo (Il Cronaca). And the famous wrought-iron lanterns that decorate the outer corners of the Palazzo, is the work of Caparra.