/ / Palazzo Torlonia: photos, description (Palazzo Torlonia)

Palazzo Torlonia: photos, description (Palazzo Torlonia)

Palazzo Torlonia, also known as the Palazzo Giraud, Giraud-Torlonia or Castellesi, mansion of the early Renaissance (16th century) on via della Conciliazione in Rome. Its construction began in 1496 by order of the cardinal Adriano da Castellesi Corneto, the architect was Andrea Bregno (it is also considered that the project was attended by Bramante).

A model for the construction of the Palace was taken, the building of the papal office - the Pasquino, one of the first Palazzo in the Renaissance style in Rome, built a few years earlier. In 1504, a few years before the completion of the Palazzo Torlonia, the owner cardinal Yes, Corneto, lost the favor of the Pope, donated the building to the English king Henry VII. Subsequently, the Palazzo became the property of Lorenzo Camejo, who lived there from 1519 1524 years. After the Anglican Church split from the Catholic, the building remained in the possession of the family Campego until 1609. Then it was bought by the Borghese family, and in the 18th century it has attracted a family of bankers from France by the name of Giraud - hence one of the names of the Palazzo. Only in 1820, the Palazzo was purchased by one of the members of the Torlonia family, whose name it bears to this day along with the family crest over the main entrance.

Today the Palazzo Torlonia faces towards the wide Boulevard of via della Conciliazione, but it was not always so - only in the 20th century, the street was significantly modified when trying to create an impressive approach to the Basilica of St. Peter. The mansion originally occupied the Northern part of a small Piazza Sassatelli (only Palazzo Torlonia and Palazzo dei Penitenzieri preserved from those times). With the extension of via della Conciliazione was demolished many historic buildings, including the Palazzo del Governatore and the Church of San Giacomo and Cascavelle. Some of the other buildings have lost their original facades, in return for which was built modern.