/ / Trinci Palazzo in Foligno: photo description (Palazzo Trinci)

Trinci Palazzo in Foligno: photo description (Palazzo Trinci)

Palazzo Trinci - aristocratic Palace in the heart of the small town of Foligno in Umbria. Today it houses the archaeological Museum, the municipal gallery, a multimedia Museum of Tournaments and jousts and the civic Museum.

The Palazzo Trinci was the residence of an influential family Trinci that rule in Foligno from 1305 1439 for years. The Palace was built on the foundations of a medieval building by Ugolino III Trinci order in the late 14th - early 15th century. After the death of Corrado III Trinci in 1441, the Palazzo became the residence of the people's priors and the papal legate, Foligno. It was then the structure slowly but surely began to decline. Already in 1458 Pope Pius II donated 200 guilders for its restoration. Donations for the same purpose was allocated in 1475 and 1546.

The South-Western part of the Palazzo from 1578 it was used as a prison, and in the early 18th century a small part of the building was converted into a theatre. Serious damage to the Palazzo was caused during the earthquakes of 1831-1832 years, then as a result of bombing during the Second World war, and another earthquake of 1985.

The current unremarkable facade in neoclassical style, was completed in 1842-1847 years on the project of Vincenzo Vitale. Decorated arches of the patio reflects the problems faced by architects who wanted to preserve as much as possible from the existing first building. They created a kind of transition from the Romanesque and Gothic styles on the first floor in the Renaissance style on the upper floors. The steep Gothic staircase was built in three Romanesque cross vaults between 1390 and 1400, when the Palazzo belonged to a rich merchant Giovanni Ciccarelli. The surface of the stairs and surrounding the cloister were originally covered with frescoes which, unfortunately, today nearly lost. Demolished in 1781, the staircase was rebuilt in 1927.

All the frescoes in the Palace except those that are in the chapel was written in the early 15th century, commissioned by Ugolino III Trinci. Covered balcony is decorated with frescoes depicting scenes from the legend of the Foundation of Rome - with their help the family Trinci wanted to show his kinship with the founders of the Eternal city. A small chapel frescoed with scenes from life of the virgin Mary had worked Ottaviano Nelli in the first half of the 15th century. Of particular interest are the frescoes in the so-called Hall of Stars featuring characters of the Humanities, the planets, the different stages of human life and time, and in the Hall of the Emperors, where you can see the rulers and heroes of Ancient Rome. The last room also displays some of the archaeological artifacts.