/ / Palazzo Falconieri: photos, description (Palazzo Falconieri)

Palazzo Falconieri: photos, description (Palazzo Falconieri)

Palazzo Falconieri Palace in Rome, created in the 17th century Baroque architect Francesco Borromini. The building is the headquarters of the Hungarian Academy of Rome (Rome office of the Institute Balassi, cultural organizations) since its founding in 1927. The Palazzo stands between via Giulia and Lungotevere promenade, accessible from both highways. Nearby Palazzo Farnese and Church of Santa Caterina and Magnanapoli.

In 1638, the year Orazio, Falconieri bought a Palace in via Giulia - the building had a small patio and was facing the Tiber. A few years later he bought the adjoining buildings and commissioned Francesco Borromini to make them into one building. Unfortunately, some architectural decisions Borromini was lost in the 19th century during the reconstruction of the embankment Lungotevere. The preserved part of the building, which had a hand in Borromini, include the façade of via Giulia Belvedere overlooking the Tiber and decoration of several rooms. On the facade, increased number of apertures 7 to 11, and also added an inverted zheloboobraznogo pilasters at the ends of which can be seen sculptures of Falcon heads ("Falcone" is translated as "Falcon"). The facade, facing the Tiber, was decorated by Borromini Belvedere loggia with a Venetian window. Inside several rooms of the Palazzo, decorated with stucco Falconieri using symbolic motifs and heraldic images.