/ / Palazzo Firrao: photos, description (Palazzo Firrao)

Palazzo Firrao: photos, description (Palazzo Firrao)

Palazzo Firrao, also known as Palazzo Bisignano and Palazzo di Santa Agata, is a monumental Palace on the via Santa Maria di Costantinopoli in the heart of Naples. The facade of the Palace overlooks the Piazza Bellini.

It is known that already in the early 16th century on this place stood an aristocratic residence, which could boast of frescoes, Polidoro di Caravaggio. In the 17th century the Palace was bought by Cesare Firrao, ruler of the towns of Sant'agata dei Luzzi and in Calabria. It is believed that he commissioned the architect of the Baroque era Cosimo, Fanzago to rebuild the building, the same architect designed the new facade. However, there is still the assumption that most of the work in the Palace performed Lazare Jacopo and his son, Dionisio. Probably already in 1630-1640-ies, Palazzo, Firrao acquired its present appearance.

Commitment to Cesare Firrao to the reign of the Viceroy led to the fact that his Palace was almost destroyed during the revolution of 1647, the year, but thanks to the intervention of cardinal Ascanio Filomarino, he managed to save. Legend has it that the cardinal managed to stop the enraged troops, putting the bust of king Charles I of the Spanish facade and Recalling his policies of limited taxation. In the second half of the 17th century the male line of the house of Pirro interrupted, and the Palace became the property of Libya, Pirro and her husband Tommaso, Prince Bisignano. In modern times, in Palazzo Firrao house government institutions.

The first floor of the facade of Palazzo stone and remarkable ionic columns. Window topped by a pediment with decorative urns, and the upper tympanum is framed by two statues with cornucopia. Here you can see the heraldic symbols of a family of Firrea.

The upper floors of the Palazzo, Firrao also rich in various architectural elements: here are images of grape vines, lions, swift horses, etc. But the most prominent landmark Palazzo are seven niches with marble busts of the rulers of Naples, mainly from the house of Bourbon, which served Firrao. Busts carved by the sculptor Giulio Mancala, possibly with the participation Bernardino Landini and Giuliano Finelli.