/ / Palazzo CESI, Armellini: photos, description (Palazzo Cesi-Armellini)

Palazzo CESI, Armellini: photos, description (Palazzo Cesi-Armellini)

Palazzo CESI, Armellini, sometimes called Palazzo CESI, is the building of the late Renaissance in Rome. The Palace, which should not be confused with the Palazzo CESI Gedi and the Palazzo Muti-CESI, stands near the southern colonnade of Bernini's Piazza San Pietro. Today it is one of the few Renaissance buildings in the district of Borgo, which has survived the demolition of the Central part of the County during the construction of the street of via della Conciliazione leading to St. Peter's Basilica. On the East side can be seen the Palazzo Serristori.

The first Palace on this spot was erected between 1517 and 1520 m over the years for cardinal Francesco Armellini, possibly by the architect Giulio Romano or his students. Armellini, a native of Perugia, was an experienced financier. After the move to Rome, he was inconceivably rich, and was appointed a cardinal and Advisor to Pope Leo X Medici. It Armellini was indirectly guilty of the sack of Rome in 1527, the year because a few years before that advised the Pope to dismiss all the soldiers, leaving the city without defense. When the mercenaries of Emperor Charles V invaded the Eternal city, the cardinal tried to bury his treasures in my own garden. Palazzo Armellini was looted, and the cardinal had barely time to take refuge in the castle Sant'angelo.

After the death of Armellini in 1529, the year his heirs sold the Palace to the family of CESI Umbria. Angelo CESI, Bishop of Todi, and his brother Pierre Donato in the late 16th century began the reconstruction of the Palazzo on the project of Martino Longhi the Elder. Both brothers were passionate art lovers and kept in the Palace a lot of antique things and a huge collection of books. The building remained in the ownership of the family CESI until 1799, the year, and then several times changed owners.

In 1939 year during the construction of via della Conciliazione Palazzo Armellini-CESI survived, but has been slightly modified - the number of Windows on the facade was reduced from 12 to 8, the yard was slightly shortened, and the East wing with a monumental staircase and a corner tower and was completely demolished. During the Second World war, the walls of the Palace and found shelter many people, including Jews hiding from the Nazis. In 2004, the year part of the Palazzo Armellini-CESI was converted into a hotel.

Despite all the reconstruction of the 20th century, the Palace has retained its original appearance of the late Renaissance. Elegant brick facade at the bottom of the stone. The main entrance is framed by two Doric columns. In the courtyard of the visible columns of Tuscan and ionic capitals. The loggia is decorated with a cycle of frescoes depicting scenes from the life of king Solomon. The frescoes are also preserved in some rooms.