/ / Palmanova: photo description (Palmanova)

Palmanova: photo description (Palmanova)

42 km from Lignano on the Adriatic coast of Italy is located the small town of Palmanova, which is home to a little more than five thousand people. In the 16th century this territory formerly was called "leopard skin": enclaves of Venetian Republic were in the territories of Austria and Imperial possessions in Venetian lands. In order to strengthen the defense of Friuli, the Venetians decided to build in the heart of the fertile plains, the fortress - she had to protect from the attacks of the warlike Turks and reining in the expansion of the Austrian Grand Dukes. To implement this ambitious project, assembled a team of talented engineers and architects. So, in October 1593, the year, was laid the first stone of the new fortress of Palma.

In the heyday of the Venetian Republic, the fortress was equipped with two rows of fortifications with bastions and a moat, which was defended by three main entrances inside. Palmanova was originally conceived as a kind of war machine: the number of bastions and the length of the wall corresponded to the power of the weapons of those times.

In 1797, the year the Austrians occupied the fortress, but soon they were expelled by the French. Then, after signing a peace Treaty with Napoleon, Palmanova again moved to Austria for a while, but in 1805, the year the French re-occupied star city and built a third line of fortifications. In 1814 year, the castle again changed owners, again became the property of the Habsburg dynasty. During the reign of the Austrians there was built a public theatre Teatro Sociale, which became the center of motion of the Risorgimento - the struggle for the unification of Italy. However, part of Italy Palmanova was only in 1866 year. A hundred years later, in 1960 year, the President of the Italian Republic declared the city a fortress a national monument.

Today in Palmanova you can see three magnificent gates, built in the 16th century. The city's main square - the Piazza Grande - has the shape of a regular hexagon in the center of which, on the basis of Istrian stone stands standard - the permanent witness and the symbol of the fortress and its history. In the same square facing the facades of many historic buildings, including the Cathedral - a wonderful example of Venetian architecture.

From museums Palmanova stands out City history Museum, introducing the history of the city and its surroundings. It also houses a rich collection of ancient weapons, brought here from Castel Sant'angelo in Rome.

Actually, I should say that in Palmanova is very difficult to list all the interesting sights. The city itself is a Museum, where every house, every street and square has its value. Starting from Porta Udine, where you can see the huge wheel for lifting the suspension bridge, up the street Strada delle Milizie that runs along the old city walls, with its military garrisons and artillery depots. Merit and other quarters, were once military and now, after careful restoration, turned into a residential - St. Andrew and San Juana with its Venetian powder magazine, the oldest building of Palmanova.