/ / Park them. John Paul II: photo description (Parco Papa Giovanni Paolo II)

Park them. John Paul II: photo description (Parco Papa Giovanni Paolo II)

Park them. John Paul II, better known by its historic name Basilicas Park, city Park in Milan located within Zone 1. It owes its name to the fact that its territory as it connects two major basilicas - San Lorenzo and Sant of Sant'eustorgio. The Park covers an area of more than 40 700 sq. m. it is crossed by the via Molino delle Armi, one of the streets, part of the ring road, Cerchia dei Navigli.

In 1925, the authorities of Milan have decided to seriously take up the area around the Basilica of San Lorenzo and the nearby Colonne San Lorenzo (one of the main ancient Roman artifacts Milan). At that time this area was a swampy area, in water which was dumping waste from tanneries with Piazza della Wind. In 1934, the area was cleared, but only after the Second world war it was turned into a city Park. Architects Pierre Fausto Formal and Antonio Grandi conceived it as a kind of archaeological promenade, between two basilicas, the Roman columns and the ruins of an ancient amphitheatre.

Today, the area surrounding the Park and the Column of San Lorenzo, is one of the most popular places of the night partying in Milan with many bars, discos, pubs and other establishments. In 2000, the Park was partially restored and officially received the name of Pope John Paul II. In addition to the above archaeological sites, here you can see the decorative trees - maples, Japanese Sophora, sycamore, pine, poplar etc.