/ / Paterno: photo description (Paterno)

Paterno: photo description (Paterno)

Paterno is a small town in the province of Catania, has very ancient roots. The territory of modern town was populated as early as 3.5 thousand years ago - probably the first inhabitants of these places was sica. Originally the settlement was called Inessa, and its current name comes from the Greek words "Pater, aition", which means "Fortress of the Etna". In addition, Northwest Paterno had traces of another ancient city, named, Illia Major or Galatis.

In the Greek and Roman era Paterno was a humble provincial centre, and at the end of the first Millennium it is almost deserted. In the years of the Arab domination in Sicily, the city was known as Batarna. The Normans, who conquered the island in the middle of the 11th century, the city returned to the name Paterno. In the same period, he began his heyday. King Federigo III built the so-called "Camera Reginale" - the Queen's chambers, which was presented as a wedding gift to his bride Eleanor of Anjou. Later they passed on to all the Queens of Sicily. The heyday of paternò lasted until the 15th century when the city became a feudal property and it lost its value.

Historically, the area around paternò always suffered from epidemics of malaria, because it is situated on the marshy plain of Catania. However, in the 20th century this problem was solved, and in the 1960-1970-ies it has witnessed rapid urban development.

Among the main attractions little Paterno can be called the Norman castle, built in 1072 by order of Roger I of Sicilian, and numerous churches. So ,the Chiesa Madre di Santa Maria Dell Alto was built in 1342 and substantially rebuilt in the early 18th century. It is connected by a scenic staircase to the gates of the Porta del Borgo. In the Gothic Church of San Francesco Alla Collina preserved elements of decoration of the Baroque, and the Church of San Martino al Monte is notable for its Rococo style. You should pay attention to the Church of Santa Maria della Valle di Losefat the 11th century with an amazing Gothic portal.