/ / Peschiera del Garda: photo description (Peschiera del Garda)

Peschiera del Garda: photo description (Peschiera del Garda)

Peschiera del Garda lies in the southernmost part of lake Garda on the Verona side. This city, located on the slopes of the morainic hills, where the river Mincio flows out of Garda has ancient roots, when he was called Arilica in which clear evidence of Celtic origin.

Even in the bronze age this territory was inhabited by humans in prehistoric times to the present site of Peschiera was a major trading center between Europeans and Mediterranean regions. The first settlements are dated to 1500-1100 BC To the 1st century BC the Romans conquered the land, then in their place came the Gauls, and later - at the end of the 7th century the Lombards. It was then that Peschiera, the former an important strategic and commercial center, became the administrative center. In 1378 the city was captured by the Visconti family, and in the middle of the 15th century by the order of the Venetian Republic, took Francesco Sforza. Finally, at the beginning of the 19th century, under the rule of the Austrians, Peschiera, together with Verona, Mantova and Legnano became part of the so-called Quadrilatero - the defensive system created by the Austrians. Only in the second half of the 19th century, the city joined the unified Italy.

Today the economy Peschiera del Garda depends mainly from the tourism industry - here come the fans of active rest, beach enthusiasts, and families with children who are attracted by the nearby amusement parks Gardaland and Caneva World. In addition, the city has thermal baths "Parco Termale del Garda". Source of income for the locals is the production of wine and olive oil.

Discover the sights of Peschiera is best to start with a tour of historic Porta Verona, built in 1553 by the architect Michele Sanmicheli immediately after the bridge over the river Mincio. Located near the gates of the former artillery barracks, built in the mid-19th century. On the main square in Peschiera, you can see Padiglione degli ufficiali the Officers ' pavilion, built in 1856. It is in this neoclassical building housed the officers of the Habsburgs. A little further on are the barracks of the Marines. On the same square there is another military facility - a Building Commander, which was built in 1854 and is now occupied by a small military Museum. The road that leads to the historic centre of Peschiera, you can see the bridge Waltoni, built between the bastions of San Marco and Cantarana. And at Porta Brescia located bastions Feltrini and Tonlon to the amusement Park. Worth seeing is also the military prison in Piazza d Armi, located in the building of the ancient hospital of mid-19th century. Near the prison is built the Church of San Martino, and a little further on stands the majestic Rocca of Scaligera. Finally, just 2 km from Peschiera are Frassino monastery and the Small monastery of the Franciscan order.