/ / Piazza Dante: photos, description (Piazza Dante)

Piazza Dante: photos, description (Piazza Dante)

Piazza Dante is the main square of Grosseto, where there are important public institutions. The square has the traditional shape of a trapezoid. It was founded in the 13-14-th centuries, and consists of two connected zones.

The main part of the area is limited on the South side of the Cathedral of San Lorenzo, the main façade of Palazzo Aldobrandeschi and the cloisters. In the center of this slightly elevated part is Canapone Monumento - a monument to the Great Duke of Tuscany Leopold II. Elation area due to the fact that in the past there was a cistern that provided water to the city, and on the site of the monument stood a well. The territory, which is located under the tank, marked by a number of columns and chains that have established residents of Grozny to refer to Piazza delle Catena - this part of the Piazza Dante.

The other part of Piazza Dante, a smaller spread between the Cathedral, the Palazzo Comunale, built in 1867 year, the place where once stood the Church of San Giovanni Decollato, and the Palazzo Albin, built in the 20th century. The last building, with its cloister was built immediately after the fall of the fascist regime on the site of the ancient Palazzo dei Priori, which is preserved only in fragments.

At the Northern tip of Piazza Dante begins the Corso Carducci, the main street of the historic centre of Grosseto, which leads to Porta Nuova - the gates of the Walls of the Medici. And in the South-Eastern corner of the square originates Strada Ricasoli, going to Piazza del sale, lying in front of other medieval gates - the port of Vecchia.

Special attention deserves the Roman column, standing at the right corner of the Cathedral, from Medieval times until the mid-19th century it stood in the southern part of the square.