/ / Campo dei Fiori: photo description (Campo de' Fiori)

Campo dei Fiori: photo description (Campo de' Fiori)

Campo dei Fiori square in Rome, located South from Piazza Navona, on the border districts of Parione and Regola. Nearby are the palaces of Palazzo della Cancelleria and Palazzo Farnese. The name of the square translates from Italian as "flower field" - in the Middle ages, this place really was a meadow.

In ancient Rome, the territory of modern space remained unused, as often occurs near leaving the banks of the Tiber. However, in the 13th century there began to appear the first building, although for another two centuries the area had no special importance. When the Pope Boniface IX (1389-1404 years) was built the first Church of Santa Brigida a Campo dei Fiori, which now stands near the Piazza Farnese. In 1456, at the initiative of cardinal Ludovico Trevisan the territory of the Campo dei Fiori was paved during the implementation of a large project for the beautification of the entire area Parione. At the same time in the vicinity of the square was erected several important buildings, such as Palazzo Orsini and the Renaissance Palazzo della Cancelleria.

Campo dei Fiori has never had a specific shape from an architectural point of view, the area has always remained a center of trade and street culture. Names diverging from it streets are also linked to trade: via dei Balestrari (street of the crossbow makers), via dei Baullari (sunduchkov street), via dei Cappellari (street hatters), via dei Chiavari (street locksmith) and the via dei Giubbonari (street tailors).

In the second half of the 15th century Campo dei Fiori became a part of the so-called Papal road - the via Papale, which connected the Basilica of San Giovanni in Laterano and the Vatican. That is the way the newly elected Pope from the Basilica drove to his residence at the Vatican to "make the city". The emergence of via Papale brought the area prosperity - twice a week in the square worked as a horse market and in the area there were numerous Inns, hotels and shops. The most famous hostelries, the "Taverna della Vacca", still stands on the corner of Campo dei Fiori. He once belonged to Vannozza dei Cattanei, mistress of Alexander VI Borgia. Family coat of arms of Cattanei preserved on the facade of the tavern.

In 1600 the area was publicly executed philosopher Giordano Bruno he was burned alive along with all his books, made by the Holy Inquisition in the prohibited list. And almost three centuries later at the place of execution of Giordano Bruno was erected a monument by Ettore Ferrari, the philosopher looks defiantly in the direction of the Vatican. In the first days after the unification of Italy, this monument was perceived as a monument to the Martyr for freedom of thought.

Since 1869 in Campo dei Fiori regularly work green and fish market, and sometimes compete in agility local players, and at night the square becomes a meeting place of tourists and residents of Rome.