/ / Piazza Navona: photo description (Piazza Navona)

Piazza Navona: photo description (Piazza Navona)

The most famous square of Baroque Rome is located on the former site of the stadium of Domitian. Since the time of the reign of Domitian that the place was used exclusively for sports. The remains of the stadium can still be seen under the Church of Sant Agnese in AGON, dedicated to the virgin-Martyr, which in this place a miracle happened: instantly grown thick hair covered the nakedness of 13-year-old Christian woman, exposed to the reproach of the Gentiles. The facade of the Church is executed in 1650-ies by the architect Borromini.

The main attraction of the square is the fountain of the Four rivers Lorenzo Bernini, executed in 1651 and caused great admiration of Pope innocent X, which since then began to provide the artist his wing. The figures of the Fountain are personifications of the rivers Danube, Ganges, Nile and Rio de La Plata. The shapes of the rivers located around the rocky reef, on which stands an ancient obelisk.

The corner area out of Palazzo Braschi, the Museum of urban history. On the corner of the building near the base is an antique statue with an ugly face Pasquino. The statue was found during the laying of the Foundation of the building. Some time on the neck of the statue began to appear leaflets with ironic comments about different events.