/ / Piazza Grande: photo description (Piazza Grande)

Piazza Grande: photo description (Piazza Grande)

Piazza Grande, also known as Piazza Vasari, is the main square of the Tuscan city of Arezzo. For centuries it was the center of social life in the Middle ages the area was called Piazza del Comune, since it housed the City Hall, and in the 16th century it became known as Piazza Vasari because of the impressive Loggia was built on the North side of the square by the famous artist and architect of that time Giorgio Vasari.

Archaeological finds indicate that in the 3rd century BC through this place passed the Etruscan road which connected the city of the living" with "city of dead" located on a small hill of Poggio del sole. Later here was built the Roman road. In the Middle ages the Piazza Grande was a huge market in the Northern part of which was the bird market, which area is sometimes called Piazza dei maiale (Pork). From the 11th century, the Piazza Grande becomes the center of political, commercial, military and religious life in Arezzo. In those days the area looked almost like today, except for its Northern part, where now you can see the City Hall with its red-brick tower on the right and the Palazzo del CAPITANO on the left. In the 17th and 18th centuries, the area has undergone significant changes: all the medieval buildings were plastered, towers and Gothic decorative elements disappeared, was a fountain and the Palace Court. Was gradually orderly market trading in the area, and today on the Piazza Grande has not seen the market in General. And the area ceased to be a center of urban life, with the exception of the days of the knight's tournament Giostra del Emanuele saracino, here again when going to a motley crowd.

In the Western part of the Piazza Grande you can see the apse of the Church of Santa Maria della Pieve, as well as the facade is decorated with a series of loggias. Unfortunately, the apse was poorly restored in 1864-78-m respectively and is significantly different from its original Romanesque appearance. Another remarkable structure of the square is the building of Fraternité dei Laici, now part of the Palace Court. It was built in the late 14th century for the religious Fraternity of St. Mary, founded in 1262, the year. The brotherhood started with the fact that its members twice a week went around Arezzo asking for alms, and in the Renaissance it became wealthy and powerful urban Institute - the brotherhood had their own schools, and it is even sponsored training for some students at the University of Pisa and abroad. The brotherhood's money was also built the Vasari Loggia, the city's Church yard, city water system and shelter. The construction of the building, Fraternité dei Laici started in 1375, the year and was completed only two centuries later. Such a long period were reflected in the fact that the exterior of the building blended a variety of styles - Gothic, Renaissance and late Renaissance. In 1552, the year Felice da Fossato built the clock at the top of the Fraternité that today is one of the oldest working hours in Italy. According to legend, da Fossato, was blinded after he built the clock so he couldn't create anything similar. In the 18th century the apse of Santa Maria della Pieve and the building of Fraternité dei Laici was built the Palace of the Court - perhaps the only Baroque building of Arezzo.

A little away stands the Palazzo Lippoli - medieval building of the 14th century with a beautiful wooden balcony and tower. Assume that the tower was built a century later and actually belonged to another building that stood to the left. In the 18th century Palazzo and the tower was plastered, and to the Palace was attached to the iron balcony.

Another noteworthy building on Piazza Grande is the elegant Palazzo Brizzolari, built in the 15th century for a wealthy merchant family Kafani. Nearby is the Torre dei Kafani. But, of course, the "pearl" of the square is the Loggia of Vasari is one of the most beautiful buildings of Arezzo. It was designed by Giorgio Vasari and is considered his masterpiece. Work on the construction of the Loggia started in 1573-the year and ended after the death of the architect in the 17th century. The name "Loggia" the building was in a large open gallery, which once housed the best shops in the city.

In the Northern part of the square, in front of the Loggia, is the Petron - a stone column with a ball and cross on top. A copy of the original pillars of the 13th century, which served for the conviction of criminals and debtors. And at the bottom of the Piazza Grande you can see the fountain built by the project of Vasari, in 1602, the year.