/ / Piazza dei Signori: photos, description (Piazza dei Signori)

Piazza dei Signori: photos, description (Piazza dei Signori)

Piazza dei Signori is one of the most beautiful squares in Padua, located in the historical centre of the city. For centuries it was the heart of the city - there were carried out important city events, festivals, jousting tournaments etc. Architectural dominant of the square is the famous Clock Tower.

Piazza dei Signori was founded in the 14th century after it was demolished the entire block, stretching in front of the Church San Clemente. The area was designed to give the value of the Clock Tower and to provide access to the palaces on the Eastern side. In the same 14th century between noble families of Carrara and Visconti broke out a real war, and this could not but affect the square and surrounding buildings - they were partially destroyed and abandoned. But soon their repairs Venetians, making the area the fifth important part of the city - it was on their initiative here were held musical festivals, theatrical performances and other cultural and entertainment activities. In 1848, the year the square was renamed Piazza Pius IX as part of the popular in those years, the anti-Austrian movement, and in 1870, the year she became known as the Piazza UNITA d'italia. Only in the years of the Nazi regime, it regained the original name.

Today, the Piazza dei Signori is a rectangular space with buildings around. The buildings around the square were built in different periods, but the arch of the gallery date back to the 14th and 15th centuries. Some to this day you can see the scenery of the middle Ages or Renaissance. On the West side of the square stands the Clock Tower, the sides of which are symmetrically Palazzo Capitanio and Palazzo Camerlenghi the 16th and 17th centuries. In two niches exhibited busts of saints Anthony and Prosdoce - both made of stone and restored in the 1990-ies. Another attraction of the square is the column Marciana mid-18th century, is a monument composed of parts of the Church of San Marco, including the Roman marble. Stone lion - the work of Sanavia 1870, he replaces the destroyed French sculpture. On the Eastern side of Piazza dei Signori stands the ancient Church of San Clemente, framed medieval houses.