/ / Piazza del Comune: photos, description (Piazza del Comune)

Piazza del Comune: photos, description (Piazza del Comune)

Piazza del Comune square, located in the heart of Assisi and is a center of social, cultural and political life of the city. Its well-preserved historic buildings have witnessed the turbulent life of Assisi for many centuries.

So, in the Roman Forum you can see wall inscriptions, epigraphs, sarcophagi, parts of ancient columns and capitals, extant since Roman times. Immediately after the entrance (the crypt of the ruined Church of San nicolò) starts a long corridor, reminiscent of the past and leading to the place where once was the town square with foundations of an ancient temple. Most recently, this archaeological zone was restored to better meet the needs of tourists.

Here, on the Piazza del Comune, stands the medieval Palazzo del CAPITANO del Popolo, built in 1282. Then it housed the residence of the chief of city militia of Assisi, and by the end of the 14th century it became the residence of the Podesta - mayor. Later the Palace was used for different purposes, but he never changed its name. The Palazzo consists of three floors with a number of four Windows on each and four doors on the ground floor. The top of the building is adorned with battlements of Guelph. Today in the Palazzo del CAPITANO del Popolo is the International society for the study of the heritage of the Franciscans.

Another attraction is the main square of Assisi is the square tower Torre del Popolo, built in the second half of the 13th century. The top floor of the tower was completed in 1305, and watch it set in the middle of the 15th century. Once it was a Land registration and the Chamber of notaries. A huge bell weighing 4 kg was placed on the tower in 1926.

Can be seen next to the Temple of Minerva, with its elegant façade of the six ancient columns, is the most impressive surviving building in the city since Roman times. Today inside the Church of Santa Maria Sopra Minerva.

Also pay attention to the fountain, built in 1762, John Martinucci, and the Palazzo dei Priori, which was built over long time and as a result has mixed features of different architectural styles. The oldest part of the Palace was built in the 13th century and renovated in 1926. The Central part dates from the 13th century, but the upper floor was built in the 15th century. Today it houses the City municipality, public institution and art gallery, the Pinacoteca Comunale.