/ / Piazza Cavalli: pictures, description (Piazza Cavalli)

Piazza Cavalli: pictures, description (Piazza Cavalli)

Piazza Cavalli is a historical and political centre of Piacenza, the square, received its name because of the equestrian statues of members of the Farnese family, made by the sculptor Francesco Moki. Once known as Piazza Grande, it was equipped at the end of the 12th century during the reconstruction of the Palazzo Gothic. For centuries it was here built their residences on the most wealthy and influential inhabitants of Piacenza.

Palazzo Gothic is an outstanding example of medieval architecture, a symbol of secular power. The building remained unfinished, dominates the Piazza Cavalli. Its construction was begun in 1281, the year on the initiative of Alberto Cattle, a noble merchant and leader of the party of the Ghibellines. On the project of the Palazzo worked for the architects of Piacenza and Como, but directly to the construction involved in Pietro da Cagnano, Negro de Negri, Gherardo, Campanaro and Pietro da Borghetto. The Palazzo is typical of municipal buildings of Northern Italy, look with a covered gallery for a collection of people and a balcony with large Windows that let in a little light in the main hall on the upper floor. This hall originally intended to host large meetings, but in reality was used as a warehouse and later as a theatrical scene. Here in 1351, the year he visited the great poet Francesco Petrarca, and in 1561 year, to celebrate carnival. Attract the attention of the Central tower of the Palazzo with its bell tower and two side towers. The lower part is of pink marble contrasts sharply with upper made of red brick. Once in this tower were kept a picture of the Madonna and child 13th century, which can be seen today in the Palazzo Farnese.

Another attraction of the Piazza Cavalli is the Palazzo dei Mercanti, which today houses the city administration. The building was built between 1676 and 1697 years by the architect Angelo Caccialupi. The remarkable facade of the portico, which used a combination of orders instead of applying a single large order, which is characteristic for such structures.

Finally, it is worth to pay attention to Palazzo del Governatore, designed by the architect lotario Tomba in 1787. Up to the accession of the Duchy of Parma and Piacenza to the Kingdom of Sardinia in this building was the seat of the rulers of the city. The facade of the Palazzo is decorated with sundial of Gian Francesco Barattieri. Today the building houses the Chamber of Commerce, and the gallery is occupied by different offices.

Speaking of Piazza Cavalli, not to mention the monuments, which gave the name to the square - the monuments of Alessandro Farnese and Ranuccio. Both horse rider is undoubtedly a masterpiece of Baroque art and was made by the Tuscan sculptor Francesco Moki. He worked on them for 16 years, from 1612 till 1628-y. Ranuccio Farnese, standing to the right of the Palazzo Gothic, looks like a classical hero in his Roman costume. And Alessandro Farnese, on the contrary, looks dynamic, thanks to the "waving" to cloak details reminiscent of the masterpieces of Bernini. Both monuments are standing on the pedestal of Carrara marble.