/ / Piazza San Domenico: photos, description (Piazza San Domenico)

Piazza San Domenico: photos, description (Piazza San Domenico)

Piazza San Domenico is one of the most beautiful squares of Lucca, recently restored and regained its charm of the past. Nearby, the fortress and the city Park "Il Prato", with its pine alleys and benches.

Along the street of via San Domenico is the number of houses built in the Middle ages and rebuilt several times. Each of these elegant buildings has a courtyard and a garden. A large, austere building on the left is the Palazzo Fossombroni that belonged to the scholar and the policy of the 19th century Vittorio Fossombroni. The monument of this figure is installed in Piazza San Francesco. Once in the Palazzo was a huge stone fireplace, made in 1533, the year of Simone Mosca, which can be seen today in the State Museum of medieval and modern art. In the first half of the 20th century Palazzo Fossombroni belonged to the municipality of Arezzo, and now it houses the offices of the local administration.

Beside the Palazzo is the Dominican monastery and Church of San Domenico with an amazing bell tower - one of the most impressive in the city. The Gothic Church was built in the 13-14-th centuries: she looks adorable, despite the fact that a very simple form. The facade is decorated with a belfry with two bells that date back to the 15th century. The porch of the Church was renovated in the 1930-ies together with the main portal. Inside San Domenico consists of a single nave ending in three chapels. The sides of the Gothic Windows with black-and-white frames. The interior is decorated with frescoes by artists from Arezzo and Siena, the 14th to 15th centuries, and the true treasure of the Church is a Crucifix of the 13th century works of Cimabue. From the Dominican monastery, little has survived to our days only two parties of the elegant cloister and a large hall. Today here lives only a few novices.

On the right are the city walls and the ancient Porta San Biagio, also known as Porta Pozzuolo, which is surrounded by a meadow with artifacts of the Etruscan and Roman periods. The gate was built in the 13th century, then in 16th century, they were closed and reopened only after the Second World war. It was then that they were wrong to be called Porta San Biagio (was the gate near the Park "Il Prato").