/ / Piazza San Francesco: photos, description (Piazza San Francesco)

Piazza San Francesco: photos, description (Piazza San Francesco)

Piazza San Francesco is one of the oldest areas of Arezzo, which until 1870 had a relatively small size, and then were much altered. The Church of San Francesco, standing on the left side of the square, was once the dominant feature of the whole space that can be seen on the engraving of the late 18th century. Narrow street of via Cavour ended at the entrance to the "caffè dei Costanti", and opposite, on the corner between via Cavour and Piazza San Francesco, stood the huge building of the monastery adjacent to the Church. In 1870, the monastery was demolished to enlarge the space of the square and pave the street to Piazza Guido Monaco. However, many residents agreed that the transformation had a negative impact on the overall harmony of the area.

The Church of San Francesco, which gave its name to the square, famous for its great frescoes by Piero della Francesca depicting the legend of the life-giving cross. Recently, these murals were restored, and today attract thousands of tourists. The Church itself was built in the 14th-15th centuries and its tower was built in the late 16th - early 17th centuries. In the same period, the Church has undergone several renovations and acquired a Baroque appearance, was added stone altars, frescoes on the walls and vaults of the Church were painted over with white paint, the Gothic chapel was demolished. The crypt is divided into two chapel - Santa Caterina and San Donato, which was later decorated with frescoes. In the first years of the 19th century the crypt was sold into private hands, and the Church itself for many years was used as military dormitory. Only in the 1970-ies of San Francesco and its priceless frescoes have been carefully restored. Today, the Church is quite an imposing building with clean lines and an unfinished facade.

On the South side of Piazza San Francesco is a large building, stretching up the via Guido Monaco, which today houses different shops. Once this building was occupied by the famous antique store "Galleria Bars" that belonged to Ivan Bruschi, one of the major Italian collectors of antiquities. That he belonged to the idea of organising Antique fairs, which is famous for Arezzo today. Extensive collection of Bars, consisting of antique furniture, sculptures and jewelry on display in the Museum of his name in Corso Italia.

On the North side of Piazza San Francesco there are two noteworthy buildings - building No. 11, preserves its medieval look, and the house No. 18, which houses the Academy dei Costanti. And right in front of the Church of San Francesco stands the monument of Vittorio Fossombroni, established in 1864, the year. Fossombroni was a scholar and politician, worked for the Grand Duke of Tuscany, and he played a significant role in the lives of Arezzo. The most famous in the descendants he received for draining marshy valley Valdichiana - one of the four valleys surrounding Arezzo.

No less interesting and the cafe "Caffe dei Costanti, the oldest in the city. It was opened in 1804, the year as a private club for the noble inhabitants of Rome, and later became a favourite meeting place for all citizens. In one of the back rooms of cafes hung old photographs, giving an idea of how this building and the surrounding buildings looked like in the past. Today the cafe is known for its homemade ice cream and delicious pastries prepared according to old recipes. In 1997, the year Roberto Benigni filmed some scenes for his famous movie "Life is beautiful".