/ / Piazza Santa Maria in Gradi:, (Piazza Santa Maria in Gradi)

Piazza Santa Maria in Gradi:, (Piazza Santa Maria in Gradi)

Piazza Santa Maria in Gradi is not the most well-known among tourists, the area of Arezzo, although it preserves interesting historical monuments. In General, this area is of great archaeological importance because in the era of the Etruscans, in the 7-6 th centuries BC, it housed an important centre of social life. This is where the factory for production of clay products, owned by Marco Perennia, the famous industrialist of his time, - at the factory did a marvelous coral vases, which can be seen today in the Archaeological Museum. During the archaeological excavations was brought to light a few bowls for mixing glue, fragments of vases, patterns and even the ruins of office buildings. Was found with other artifacts from Ancient Rome - mosaic floors, wells and coins. And in the 13-14-th centuries on this place there was a foundry, which did the best in Arezzo bells.

In Piazza Santa Maria in Gradi, near the homonymous Church, you can see the door leading into the monastery which in the past was much more than now. From the former scale remained only a small cloister behind the apse of the Church. Today, the convent is one of the private schools of the city - Istituto, Aliotti.

The Church of Santa Maria in Gradi is on the hillside Piaggia del Murello one of the oldest streets in Siena, which in the past was called the Ruga Mastra. The Church was built in the late 16th century by the architect Bartolomeo Ammannati on the site of the Romanesque Church of the 11th century, which was part of a monastery Camaldoli. From the Church to the present day came only the crypt. Santa Maria in Gradi was completed in 1611, the year later in 1632, the year was built the bell tower, and wooden vaulting appeared only in 1711, the year. The exterior and interior of the Church is very simple - on both sides of the Central nave there are three chapels. The wooden altar you can see the famous terracotta statue of the Madonna of Andrea della Robbia.