/ / Piazza del Duomo: a photo, a description (Piazza del Duomo)

Piazza del Duomo: a photo, a description (Piazza del Duomo)

Piazza del Duomo, also known as Cathedral square, one of Milan's main attractions. Got its name the dominating Cathedral the Duomo. The area is the center of the city, both from a geographical point of view, and in terms of its importance in art, culture, and public life of Milan. Rectangular in shape, it stretches over an area of 17 thousand sq. m. it is located On the largest attractions not only of Milan but of Italy in General.

Piazza del Duomo was founded in the 14th century and since then constantly evolved and expanded as the Duomo, whose construction lasted over 6 centuries. The current appearance of the square is the work of architect Giuseppe Mengoni, who lived in Milan in the second half of the 19th century. Many of the buildings lining the square (except for the Duomo and the Palazzo Reale), is also the creation Mengoni, including the world - famous Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II.

In 1330, the year Azzone Visconti, ruler of Milan, ordered to demolish the taverns that surrounded the two main churches of the city at the time, - the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore and the Basilica of Santa Tecla. In their place he wanted to build the Piazza del Arengo (from the Italian "arengario" - the government building) - it will become the ancestor of future Piazza del Duomo. None of the original buildings of the Piazza del arengario has not survived to our days.

At the end of the 14th century were demolished the baptistery of San Giovanni alle Fonti and the Bishop's house, later the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore, after which construction began on the Duomo. In 1458, the year was destroyed and the Church of Santa Tecla, which helped to create a large area around the future Cathedral.

The following modification of the area occurred in the second half of the 18th century, when architect Giuseppe Piermarini redid the former "arengario" in the current Palazzo Reale. And in 19th century South-East from the Cathedral there was constructed the building of Fabbrica del Duomo. But major changes in the shape of the area occurred after the second war of Italian independence (1859 year) - it was then announced the government's intention to create an Avenue in honor of king Victor Emmanuel II. Restructuring of the area was entrusted to Giuseppe Mengoni, and he began work in 1865, the year. First, the area was extended, which was demolished a surrounding area, and then it appeared many of the current attractions, including the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II and the Palazzo dei Portici. In 1896, the year in the centre of Piazza del Duomo, a monument to king Victor Emmanuel II.

The last major changes to the shape of the area occurred during the Nazi reign - in the place where Mengoni had planned to build a second triumphal arch, was erected the Palazzo arengario, government house, whose main objective was to provide a place for public speeches, Mussolini to the people. Today, the building houses the arengario Museum of art of the 20th century.